Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Birthday Evan!!

Today we finally got to meet our sweet baby boy! It's been such a long day but I want to write everything down before I forget it all!

First off though, all the praise and thanks goes to God. I know He alone gave me peace and strength today and I feel so blessed that he is taking such great care of my little man..

So of course I couldn't sleep last night at the hotel, I think I got maybe 2 hours of sleep! We got to All Children's just after 6am today and got hooked up to the monitors in our room. Evan's heart rate was high when we got there, in the 170's, so I got fluid and laid on my left side immediately and his heart rate came down pretty quickly. I think they started the pitocin around 730ish.. maybe later? Geez I am already forgetting lol I was 4cm dilated before we even started the induction so I did have a good "head start", plus I'm pretty sure I was already in labor this morning, my contractions were steady 4 mins apart and I had a lot of cramping last night. The DR came in and broke my water around 9 and I was 5cm dilated 100% effaced. I had already asked for the epidural because the nurse said it would take 45 minutes or so to get it in and it was all done right after my water broke. I wasn't in a lot of pain but I knew I would be soon so I'm glad I got it early lol Made for a pretty painless labor. Contractions were 1 minute apart around 10am and I was 9cm dilated already. Soon after I started feeling a lot of pressure and some pain with each contraction and at 1130ish I called the nurse in. The DR came in and said I was ready to go! Delivery was pretty painful but he came out so fast! I only pushed for like 10 minutes. The DR tried to hand him to me when he was delivered but the nursery team came and took him right away. He was crying a lot and they cleaned him up and let Scott bring him over to me :) I was only aloud to hold him for a few minutes, maybe 3 or 4, and then I had to give him back to the transport team to take him to the cardiovascular ICU (cvicu). Even though I know God was watching over him the whole time, it was still really hard to have him leave. An hour later I got moved over to a recovery room and had lunch while we waited for the cvicu to let us know we could come back in. Evan looked so precious in his little bed.. Wires were everywhere and he was just sprawled out lol The u/s tech was scanning his abdomen and his head when we got there, and then another tech came in and did his first echo. We met with the cardiologist on call right after that and he confirmed the hypoplastic left heart and said everything else looks great! He said he thinks the surgery will be Monday or Tuesday, but will know for sure on Monday. Until then, we can snuggle Evan as much as we want in his room! :) I spent most of the afternoon cuddling him. I can't believe how chubby he is! lol that little boy has rolls everywhere. I am so grateful he is that big for his surgery! He makes the cutest little noises and hates to be uncovered or cold! He loves to be bundled up tight and rocked. Oh I am just so in love!! Scott and I came back to my room and had dinner then headed back over to cuddle some more. He can wear socks and hats of our choice so we "dressed" him too. So adorable! It was really hard to leave him in his room tonight but I know He has his hands on my baby boy tonight.

Poor Scott is passed out on this tiny little 'bed' right now lol he is such a GREAT dad already and Evan already has him wrapped around his finger ;) I know I always say how amazing that man is but he has just been AMAZING today! I really could not have had a better partner today. He has been so helpful and poor guy has had to deal with way more than any dad should. I just love him to pieces :)

As for me, I feel great! I've been getting around just fine all day and had no complications during delivery. I can't believe I had a baby 12 hours ago lol

We are going to spend the rest of the week snuggling Evan as much as possible! Elli will be coming up to meet her baby brother on Saturday and I can't wait!! She is so excited that her brother is finally here. Sunday Scott and I will be spending the day at home to get some quality time in with Elli before Evan has his surgery early next week. I'll be sure to update regularly!

Lastly, THANK YOU to all of our family and friends who have been praying for Evan and our family, and supporting us in every way possible. It means so much to both of us to know that many people care about us and Evan! God doesn't make mistakes; my sweet baby boy is perfect in His eyes. He has a purpose for Evan's life and I am trusting in Him 100%. Let His will be done. I will be patient and grateful for every day I get to spend with my Evan and I can't wait to get him home..

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything went so smoothly for you today. We are keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.
    Heart hugs,
    Jenny- mom to Aly- HLHS- 17 months

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe everything happens for a reason. I dont believe it was coincidental that u met Scott & u guys happened to land here in this situation. God had an angel with a broken wing that needed an amazing mother and father and u guys were picked! Why u? Idk, but He does and with time so will u. God bless u guys and keeps ur spirit alive, Hes got His with u!

    -Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so very happy Evan's entry into our world went so well! Praise the Lord! Thank you Jesus! I know He will give U strength & comfort in the future.hope U can Post a picture on this or in an email. Anxious to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story and I am so happy for you! I too had the same thing happen to me but in my technology lacking 1986 I wasn't as successful as you both have been. Be proud parents. Keep up the fight. And I would love to meet you one day. I think of my daughter every year since her birthday Feb. 28, 1986. I don't morn her death. I loved being pregnant it was amazing. Brittney Kayleigh was beautiful. Happy Birthday Evan. You will have a amazing life. Hugs. Sincerely, Kelly Turner-Irland. Kayleighnc@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I guess we really haven't explained it all but Liam has no Inferior Vena Cava from just below his liver. He has small collateral vessels that are not adequate to return blood to the heart and or to handle the drainage from his stomach, intestines , etc. so then it goes in to his abdomen. They tried to open or pass a wire through but were unable to do so. They say they haven't seen this. Ev...erything I ask like transplanting the vessel or a graft and they said it can't be done. So this will
    Continue to cause him to have pulmonary hypertension and right side heart failure. I think I have that all correct. They said that if he doesn't develop the collaterals he needs that he won't be a candidate for another transplant if necessary. And that we might need to decide if he's been through enough.
    We're not quitting !!!! plz send this info on his page is i love liam lyon on fb ty

    ReplyDelete